Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing #11 (Week 5)

Web 2.0 Award Winners

From the Web 2.0 Award Winner site:
http://www.seomoz.org/web2.0#cat_43

I decided to look at winners in the organizer category. The top three are
Google, ZoHo and BackPack.
I felt a little smug as I am already familar with Google and Backpack. At work we share our book selections on Google docs using an Excel-type format. I have an account with BackPack and particularly like their calendar app.

Today I discovered Zoho
http://zoho.com/

According to the description, ZoHo :
"Includes Writer, Spreadsheet, Show, Wiki, Virtual Office, Project management, planner and chat feature. A complete office experience in one, users can take advantage of all or some of Zoho’s features."

I poked around the applications and looked at the calendar, presentation (similar to PPT) and online documents. Looks to be extremely easy to use. The overall look of Zoho is similar to Google. Simple in appearance but complex in what it can do. Very impressive.

I also looked at Goowy Webtop, an online desktop application:
http://www.goowy.com/webtop/
Includes e-mail, chat, and other applications. Similar in many ways to the Google, Zoho and Backpack organizers. I did not spend too much time on Goowy as I am happy with what I have.

Gotta love the names...

With all this free online stuff, who needs MicroSoft Office anymore?

I am now overwhelmed and need to stop. Ning will have to wait.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I highly recommend zoho, SLJ reviewed it last year and I started using it to keep my schedule online for teachers to sign-up for the library. (bhslschedule.blogspot.com) It is so easy to update. I use links from a blog rather then uploading directly from zoho because it looks neater, but you do have the option.