Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing #20 (Week 9)

The video I chose to view features Cirkestra, a circus band. Cirkestra plays music that is a blend of gypsy, jazz, klezmer and circus music.



I looked at this video because Cirkestra is coming to my town to perform for one of our community read programs. The book we are reading is Water for Elephants. The book has a circus theme which made Cirkestra a fun programming choice.

I enjoyed listening to the music and watching the performers as it gave me an idea of what to expect. The music quality was a little poor and the lighting was dark. Didn't really bother me, however.

I love YouTube. I am usually able to find what I am looking for using the search function. My son who is a tv/media student at Ithaca College posted a movie he made at school - a great way to share it with us. I have used YouTube for everything from instructional videos to watching funny clips on a variety of topics.

YouTube poses some problems in my h.s. library. Hard to tell when the kids are using it for instructional purposes or to watch their favorite rock band or WWE wrestler.

Once I helped a student embed YouTube into a PPT presesentation - I had to figure out how to convert the file so the Mac could read it. Used a conversion program called ZamZar. Worked like a charm! While I was at it, I made sure the student gave credit where credit was due!

No comments: