Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing #22 (Week 9)

I am finally closing in on the end of this course......

eBooks and Audio eBooks

I have been intending to look into eBooks for some time. This lesson provided me with the impetus to do so!

First I checked out The Gutenberg Project. I browsed the many titles that are available. I decided to download an HTML version of The Raven to figure out how the downloads worked. The version I chose came complete with illustrations. I started to read it out loud and my husband made me stop...he hates the rhythm of that poem!

I moved on to my local public library's web site intending to download an audio eBook for the first time. I browsed the titles and decided to download Bitter Medicine by Sara Paretsky, one of my favorite mystery writers. I thought it would be a good book to listen to as I drive to work.

To educate myself, I listened to a podcast (!) for newbies to eAudio books. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that the free software I needed to install in order to download a book is available for Windows only. Nothing for my Mac..... Somewhere in the recesses of my memory I think I had heard about this. What a disappointment.

When I have more time, I will sit down to my husband's Dell computer to accomplish this task.

No comments: