Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing #21 (Week9)

Podcasts

As I am a Mac user, I decided to explore the iTunes Podcast Directory. I listened to a few podcasts from "Grammer Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing." (I am always trying to improve my writing skills.)Then I explored some of the podcasts from Public Radio. There are a multitude of them listed! I subscribed to two free podcasts: Garrison Keillor's Writers Almanac and This American Life. Both will be updated on a regular basis to my Podcast directory in iTunes. Am I dating myself with these choices?

I decided to explore one of Podcast directories listed in the lesson plan. I tried Podcast.net first and found it wouldn't open on my computer. I was successful in opening Podcastalley.com (what a name!) and browsed through the numerous categories of Podcasts. I found myself gravitating to Public Radio again. (When overwhelmed, I am drawn toward the familiar.) This time I used an RSS feed to put NPR Hourly Newscasts into Google Reader.

While in Google Reader, I noticed I could mark podcasts as "shared items" and add to them to a Blog. I marked the NPR Hourly Newscast as "shared" and posted it to to this Blog. I couldn't quite figure out how it would look. I had to save this posting as a Draft and view the Blog to locate the Podcast - found it on the lower right hand side of the Blog.

Cool!

No comments: