Sunday, January 13, 2008

More on Thing #2 (Week 1)

Thing #2 (Week 1)
I appear to be doing this backwards but I couldn't figure out how to do it otherwise. I had to set up this blog and create a test posting (Thing #3, Week 2) before I could comment on the Lifelong Learning Habits I learned in Thing #2.

I returned to school and work after raising three boys. I got my Masters Degree in Library Media when I was past the age of 50. Since then, I have completed numerous courses ('live' and online) and learned more about technology than I ever thought possible. Lifelong learning is a familiar concept to me.

Of the 7 1/2 concepts described in the tutorial on Lifelong Learning Habits, the most difficult for me is Habit #1: Begin with the end in mind. I am an impulsive person who often jumps into projects without a clear idea of where I am headed. It would help me if I stopped at the beginning and thought carefully about my goals and desired outcome(s).

The easiest habit for me is #4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner. When I started graduate school as a adult student, I was terrified. Through lots of hard work, I overcame my fears and now feel I can learn anything on which I set my sights. I love it when my adult and teen-aged sons ask for technology advice!

I look forward to learning more about Web 2.0 and how I can apply it in the high school library where I work.

No comments: