Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thing #8 (Week 4)

I played around a little with RSS feeds last week and set up a Bloglines a/c. I subscribed to weather sites in Ithaca, NY and Dakar, Senegal where my sons live. I also subscribed to a vegetarian food site (my son who is a first-year at Ithaca just turned vegetarian) and to the New York Times. For some reason I found Bloglines complicated - I probably need more experience. Today I set up a Google Reader a/c and like it much better.

On Google Reader, I subscribed to Readers Club and Unshelved (the library cartoon site). I also added my son's blog from Senegal - what a great way to find out when he has posted w/o having to visit the blog site all the time. I will be visiting my mom in FL soon and will show her how to monitor the blog also.

About six months ago, I played around with my iGoogle homepage and subscribed to a few newspapers, Weather Underground, NYT movie reviews and National Public Radio. I didn't realize I was setting up an RSS aggregator! Now that I know about Google Reader I plan to consolidate the RSS feeds there.

No comments: